Why English Lessons For All? Well, when the world suddenly changed in 2020, our individual priorities shifted too. In the aftermath of the COVID-19 lockdown, we have to rethink our world and our actions, say goodbye to the old ways of thinking and doing things – and set ourselves new goals. That’s why here at EXSELLme we have decided to help by making it an “English Lessons For All” year.
So whether you are a stay-at-home mom, an entrepreneur, a factory worker, a teenager or an adult, single or in a relationship, retired or unemployed, read on for ideas on how to occupy and better yourself this academic year. There is something for everyone at EXSELLme this year. As you will see from this article, our English sessions could help everyone.
Of course, you remember that an intellectual activity such as learning languages or picking up any new skill is a great way to help you take your mind off the problems at hand and give you that powerful sense of fulfillment from personal development.
1. English For Busy Professionals
For those constantly on-the-go, online sessions by the hour are now available for booking directly on our website, Facebook page and Instagram. Zoom, WhatsApp, StarLeaf, Meets or the good old mobile are all available! However, please remember to make those English sessions a regular thing, preferably, once a week, for best results.
Additionally, we have introduced the Weekend Language Stays in France. This way, you can spend a week-end in Alsace to learn English and enjoy the fresh mountain air. And this approach is perfect if you want to improve your English in 3 days. Of course, our Weekend Stays add extra value for busy professionals who may wish to relax while enjoying the fresh mountain air – and at the same time become a confident speaker of English. Progress guaranteed! So call to discuss!
To take this further, you may want to shift your focus to Long Term. Personally, planning for London Immersion 2021 for all my English students is in full swing. So you can already book your next summer with us in London. Whether you wish to perfect your English or merely have an opportunity to stroll around the British capital while taking in all the accents around!
2. For Motivated Learners With Time On Their Hands
Of course, our regular individual English lessons are still running throughout the year and we are happy to combine face-to-face meetings with virtual online sessions. In view of travel restrictions brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have also introduced the Weekend Language Stays in France. So call to discuss! Please note that all our programmes are eligible for CPF funding in France!
4. For Everyone: To Do Entirely On Your Own
There are a few things you can do entirely on your own in order to improve your English. That means that you can progress without any English lessons and even without having to get a teacher. Here are some ideas:
- Read a Book in English! And the best place to start would be books by your favourite authors and short stories. Additionally, you can head to Amazon for a great selection of short stories and discussion points from my author page dedicated to learners of English of all levels. Just remember to pick a short story you are interested in and delve in: topics range from crime and family to the pandemic and love.
- Discover Online Learning! If you would like to know more about the British traditions, here is a TED ED lesson you can all try out at home. It is based on a fun Afternoon Tea video I recorded in London. Also feel free to discover the multitude of other online learning opportunities such as TED Talks, TED ED, Mind Valley, Future Learn and so on.
- Watch Some Series in English! Also films and documentaries, as well as tutorials on YouTube. Head to EXSELLme blog for examples of the best series to watch in 2020.
- Read our blog! Here is our article on Effortless Ways to Learn English, where our ideas range from setting your GPS to English to reading and ordering meals in English. Alternatively, there is plenty of light reading like the Royal Family facts. Just please do not forget to comment and share your thoughts and ideas with the wider community of like-minded individuals.
Please note that all our programmes are eligible for CPF funding in France!
5. English Lessons For Teenagers And Kids
Immersion Works Wonders! So please consider sending your child for a week, or two, to live in a family in Australia or spend time at a summer camp with their peers in Scotland. Whatever the age, there is no better way for them to learn that via interactions with other native speakers in their natural surroundings. Just make sure you organise their immersion before that “critical period” ends (which is sometime before their 15th birthday!) – and the earlier the better.
EXSELLme is an official PGL agent in France. Do get in touch and we will be happy to set up their week in England, Scotland, Wales or Australia. And you can choose between a week of Surfing, Cooking, Filming, Gaming, Motorsports or Amusement Parks there – or simply stick to the English sessions in the mornings and multi-activity fun in the afternoons. Below is a list of what is included in your English Immersion Week for teenagers:
🏹 Sports Equipment
📚 Teaching Materials
📸 Day Excursions
Of course, you may also want to have a peek at our article on Multilingualism in Children.
6. English For Football Fans
Remember, Euro Football Cup 2020 has been postponed until the next year so you will still be able to catch some games at Wembley or across the pubs in London if you hurry up. By all means, you can already start planning your next summer with us in London, whether you wish to perfect your English or merely have an opportunity to stroll around the British capital while taking in all the accents around – all the while taking in all the football, of course, too!
Whatever happens, don’t let the pandemic get in the way of your progress in English. Keep it up please, or else you might find yourself lost for words in that first team meeting back at work/the office – or that first English session back at the Uni, or that first trip abroad after confinement.